Thursday 12 December 2013

The Battle for the Immersive Sound(Atmos vs Auro)

Immersive or 3D Sound Overview
3D sound formats not only include the traditional 5.1 surround sound setup, they also add more channels for 3D sound effects, the sounds has to be reproduced in all the three dimension according to the picture in the screen XYZ.

Auro 3D
The Auro-3D system by Belgian developers Van Baelen includes a total of 11.1 channels. In addition to the original 5.1 channels, Auro adds another 5.0 system on top - as well as a 'Voice of God' channel embedded in the ceiling.

Theater owners praise the economy and practicality of Auro-3D® sound systems. Auro-3D®'s unique usage of height channels (combined with conventional speaker layouts) adds significant value for filmmakers, cinema owners and audiences worldwide.
In order to reach full market potential, Auro Technologies has teamed up with Barco as exclusive partner for cinema. Auro 11.1 by Barco has already been installed in over 50 cinemas worldwide .



Auro 3D: 11.1 channels






Main Layer                                         
Upper Layer                                      
Left

Left
Center

Center
Right

Right
Surround Left

Surround Left
Surround Right

Surround Right
LFE

Voice of God (VOG)




Dolby Atmos

 

Dolby® Atmos™ is a revolutionary new audio platform. It allows for more powerful storytelling by giving content creators unprecedented control of the placement and movement of sound within the movie theatre. Combining products, services, and technologies, Dolby Atmos represents a complete end-to-end audio platform for movies now and well into the future.

 

Dolby Atmos enables a new level of artistic expression for content creators and at the same time simplifies audio postproduction. With Dolby Atmos, it’s finally possible to match sound precisely to the action onscreen and to do so easily. The result: more powerful storytelling.

 

Dolby Atmos adds the flexibility of dynamic audio objects to the traditional channel-based workflows used to create movie soundtracks. These audio objects allow content creators to control discrete sound elements in the theatre, no matter the speaker configuration. Objects can be static or can move, and they are controlled by metadata.

 

Dolby Atmos also brings new efficiencies to the audio postproduction process. It allows sound mixers to efficiently capture the director’s vision and then monitor or automatically generate 5.1- and 7.1-channel versions in real time.

 

Distribution is simplified, too. With Dolby Atmos, all the artistic intent is embedded in a file within the Digital Cinema Package (DCP), which can then be faithfully played back in a broad range of theatre configurations.


Atmos allows you address the speakers in both ways.

There is a 9 channel bed (L C R Ls Rs Lsb Rsb and OHL/OHR) which functions in the same way a channel based system always has... for the speakers not behind the screen, they can be panned to as an array.

Dolby Atmos has also brought back the Left and Right Extra channels behind the screen, so in reality you actually have an 11.1 channel based system with Atmos that functions just as traditional 5.1/7.1 did.





AURO 3D

DOLBY ATMOS
Offer the immersive 3D audio experience  (due to usage of 3 layers XYZ)
Offer the most immersive audio experience  because of 64 individual Speakers
Deliver a Channel based solution

Deliver a Object based solution
Provides 3 Dimensional Surround (XYZ)

Provides Full Range Immersive Surround
Create an Wide sweet spot

Creates an Enlarged Sweet spot
Supply uncompressed audio (PCM)

Supply uncompressed audio (PCM)

Backwards compatible with 5.1 standard

Backwards compatible with 5.1 standard

Compatibility between ALL AURO Formats

Upgradable to ALL DOLBY Formats

Compatibility across all platforms: Cinema, Home AV systems, Automotive, Headphones

Compatibility across all platforms: Cinema only…
Existing 5.1 setup can easily be upgraded to Auro-3D with the minimum number of speakers & amplifiers
Existing 5.1 setup can easily be upgraded to Dolby Atmos with the maximum number of speakers & amplifiers
A simple install on top of existing 5.1 systems
A typical installation needed with the existing 5.1 or 7.1 system



All in all, it was an interesting adventure to compare Barco Auro 11.1, which retains a channel-based orientation with a single overhead channel, and Dolby Atmos, which implements an object-oriented approach pan through array with each speaker—including those overhead—being addressed individually. In my view, Both Atmos and Auro are the winners, in terms of cost, customization and rendering Auro outruns Atmos, and both the formats are in the developing stage. It's all in the hands of content creators, sound designers and exhibitors to decide which format provides the immersive sound, of course the AUDIENCE too....

SOURCE:

62 comments:

  1. I went with dolby atmos early cause all you needed was a firmware update i doubt dts will be that friendly but the atmos mix is amazing i have the yamaha a3040 and i like it but im hoping dts is friendly.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgWmA2Qn8zc

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is music?what is the significance of music?
    http://musikandfilm.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read many blogs in the net but have never come across such a well written blog. Good work keep it up
    Drake - Hotline Bling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, will keep writing about the new technologies

      Delete
  4. You got a really useful blog I have been here reading for about half an hour. I am a newbie and your post is valuable for me.
    Quiet On The Set - Trail

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just came across to reading your blog it serve very useful information about the interiors thank u
    R Mills - Now Get it

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would be grateful if you continue with the quality of what we are doing now with your blog ... I really enjoyed it
    Award-Winning Horror Short Film

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.. they are really interesting.. I would like to swervey more from you.
    Official music video for Happiness To Life

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the information you shared that's so useful and quite informative and i have taken those into consideration....
    Xavier White - On My Way On Music Video

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been reading a lot of stuff about it. but it is different presented, i loved to read this. keep it up.
    Music video for PLAY by Diola

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice service there are just few who are providing this service great job.
    Anna Madsen - Palm Reader

    ReplyDelete
  11. Spot on with this article, I really think this website needs more attention. I'll probably be back to read more, thanks for the info.
    Tick Tock Music Video by Jaya Kosa

    ReplyDelete
  12. I visited your blog for the first time and just been your fan. I Will be back often to check up on new stuff you post!
    ceno say my name

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's really a nice and helpful piece of information. I'm glad that you shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us informed like this.
    Glib Golem What's Love song

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wanted to thank you for this great blog! I really enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.
    El Futuro Es One'

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like your post & I will always be coming frequently to read more of your post. Thank you very much for your post once more.
    Riston Diggs ft. Sly Beats

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the information and links you shared this is so should be a useful and quite informative!
    Chuck Liddell

    ReplyDelete
  17. have read many blogs in the net but have never come across such a well written blog. Good work keep it up
    Ivan Kelley song Lights On

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really loved reading your thoughts, obviously you know what are you talking about! Your site is so easy to use too, I’ve bookmark it in my folder
    Hear u Talking C.G feat Hustle AllDay

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is easier and surely gives comfort to internet users. Thanks for sharing. Post like this offers great benefit. Thank you!
    A.K-Logan Browning Song

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have been reading your posts regularly. I need to say that you are doing a fantastic job. Please keep up the great work.
    Blue Dream Marijuana Strain Review

    ReplyDelete
  21. Spot on with this article, I really think this website needs more attention.  I'll probably be back to read more, thanks for the info.
    soul music

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.. they are really interesting.. I would like to read more from you.
    What Is Normal Novel By Ginny Scale-Medeiros

    ReplyDelete
  23. I wanted to thank you for this great read. Your blog is one of the finest blog . Thanks for posting this informative article.
    in wall stereo system

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice article and informative as well. for few of people like me this article is really helpful.
    Online Music Theory Course

    ReplyDelete
  25. Truly superb blog, I don’t have actual words to praise in regards for this
    Opera Singer Sheridan Archbold

    ReplyDelete
  26. Really!!! I am very impressed after reading this blog. thanks for providing deep information for
    Justin Bieber "The feeling" Dance cover

    ReplyDelete
  27. After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is musicLife as Bebé - Episode 1

    ReplyDelete
  28. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
    We Make It Work feat. KaCe The Producer

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have been reading a lot of stuff about it. but it is different presented, i loved to read this. keep it up.
    SAVE THE DATE By NABIL & JENAN

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am undeniably thankful to you for providing us with this invaluable related information. My spouse and I are easily grateful, quite frankly the documents we needed.
    Gave you my Heart by Heather Walker

    ReplyDelete
  31. Subsequently, after spending many hours on the internet at last We\'ve uncovered an individual that definitely does know what they are discussing many thanks a great deal wonderful post.
    Justin Bieber - Love Yourself (Paul Butcher Cover)

    ReplyDelete
  32. If you could message me with any hints & tips on how you made your blog look this cool, I would be appreciative!
    The Dishes Song - David W Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  33. Cool blog you got here and thank you for the valuable info.
    Silverbird - Smile (Official Video)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi there, I just wanted to say thanks for this informative post, can you please allow me to post it on my blog?
    The Wild by Paul Maged

    ReplyDelete
  35. Valuable information! Looking forward to seeing your notes posted.
    Justin Bieber - Sorry Cover by Alex J

    ReplyDelete
  36. I visited your blog for the first time and just been your fan. I Will be back often to check up on new stuff you post!
    Body Rock - Woodbury

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks for the information and links you shared this is so should be a useful and quite informative!
    DJ Hire Central London

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks for always being the source that explains things instead of just putting an unjustified answer out there. I loved this post.
    music industry

    ReplyDelete
  39. can someone tell me how to get the little avatars to appear in my comments section? thanks!
    amazing music video

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow! Thank you! I always wanted to write in my site something like that. Can I take part of your post to my blog?
    Official Music Video for "Perspective"

    ReplyDelete
  41. Subsequently, after spending many hours on the internet at last We\'ve uncovered an individual that definitely does know what they are discussing many thanks a great deal wonderful post.
    desiigner mixtape

    ReplyDelete
  42. I would be grateful if you continue with the quality of what we are doing now with your blog ... I really enjoyed it
    Villian - KD

    ReplyDelete
  43. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it.I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.
    Sleeping

    ReplyDelete
  44. Subsequently, after spending many hours on the internet at last We\'ve uncovered an individual that definitely does know what they are discussing many thanks a great deal wonderful post.
    RomeVice- daway

    ReplyDelete
  45. It's an interesting blog and providing very nice information about the music.

    Nadel Paris Performance

    ReplyDelete
  46. I must appreciate your blog cause of many people like your music keep posting.

    Hip Hop Songs

    ReplyDelete
  47. Nice and amazing music provided in this blog. I really liked it.
    Good work.

    Hip hop Songs

    ReplyDelete
  48. This blog is fabulous about the music and the info about it amazing. Good job.

    rap songs

    ReplyDelete
  49. Great article, this is such an interesting and amazing article about music and i really love it.

    Danny Boy piano music video

    ReplyDelete
  50. Nice and useful information about music and i liked it very much.
    Good work.


    Money Really Counts

    ReplyDelete
  51. I visited your blog for the first time and just been your fan and get many informative information about the music.

    Hip hop Songs

    ReplyDelete
  52. I feel very thankful for this really amazing blog about music,.
    Thanks for sharing with us.
    Relaxing Sounds

    ReplyDelete
  53. It is truly a great blog and nice collection of music. you are doing a great job.

    Van Breda 2017 Songs

    ReplyDelete
  54. Hi there, I just wanted to say thanks for this informative blog and the information about music is useful.

    VIRGINIA MAN SONGS 2017

    ReplyDelete
  55. I think this post will be a fine read for my blog readers cause of this article have a much fun in music and all songs are really awesome. I am sure my guests will find that very useful.

    David Owens Songs

    ReplyDelete
  56. Your article very helpful for me about the musics which i was searching but your blog providing me allot of information thank you.

    Rap Songs

    ReplyDelete
  57. your article simple great. thanks for posting the information.Visit Us Here for more immersive technologies

    ReplyDelete